BioTrack seed to sale tracking, cannabis software and dispensary point of sale are trusted by Over 2,000 Licensed Cannabis Professionals Since 2010. Get reviews, pricing, and demos on the best seed-to-sale software. Prices starting from $19.99/month. Compare products like BioTrackTHC, MJ Freeway, Canix, and more. Reviews on Windows, web-based, iOS, Android, and Mac systems. BioTrackTHC is the leader in government seed-to-sale tracking solutions designed specifically for the cannabis industry. Schedule a demo today!
SECURE CANNABIS SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
YOU CAN COUNT ON
Nearly 10 years of experience and 2,000+ customers makes us one of the most
seasoned tech companies in the cannabis industry.
SECURE CANNABIS SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
YOU CAN COUNT ON
Nearly 10 years of experience and 2,000+ customers makes us one of the most
seasoned tech companies in the cannabis industry.
ALL-IN-ONE CANNABIS TRACKING SOFTWARE
Our comprehensive cannabis software and business solution covers the requirements of compliant seed-to-sale tracking and data reporting in every state.
Tracking and reporting tools customized to your jurisdiction’s regulations, plus tons of extra features to help you operate every aspect of your licensed cannabis business including comprehensive reports, data-driven marketing tools, integrated hardware for minimal data entry, and customizable workflows to make your solution work for you; not the other way around.
Closely monitor thousands of plants in our easy-to-use cultivation grid, while logging strain notes to monitor genealogy and ongoing clone potency, optimize your future yields and watering/nutrient cycles; all while easily staying compliant.
PROCESSING AND MANUFACTURING
Convert multiple barcodes and any variation of product conversions you please. Easily stay compliant while managing your inventory down to the exact milligram.
Monitor thousands of products through a single interface. Automatically keep track of expiration dates, product recalls, and test results, keeping you safe from legal complications.
UNRIVALED INDUSTRY KNOWLEDGE
Our dedicated team of industry insiders is unmatched.
- Setup reminders for whatever you’d like. From watering schedules to nutrient and pesticide applications. Make sure you, and more importantly, your team, never miss a beat.
ANALYZE YOUR RESULTS
- Monitor Pesticides and Nutrients applied, log Strain Notes detailing light and watering cycles, plus review Past Harvest Data to optimize your future yields.
- Record and track crossbreeding, plant genetics and monitor clone potency results.
Processing & Mfg.
- Add several product details to your inventory items, printing key information directly on your labels including ingredients, potency results, plus a reactive expiration date that can lock a product if it’s past expiration, and much more.
- Want to convert flower into oil? Oil into edibles? Convert products into single or multiple by-products, while maintaining a complete chain of custody, logging cost per gram calculations and product notifications and recalls.
- Easily generate invoices and purchase orders for record keeping and safe, compliant business practices.
DATA DRIVEN CRM
- Out-of-the-Box Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools to reward loyal customers and referrals. Setup targeted email and text campaigns based on customer’s favorite products, last visit date, purchase history, birthdays and more.
AUTOMATED DATA ENTRY
- Eliminate data entry and human error with integrated hardware that populates metrics right on your screen. Weigh directly into the computer, scan patient ID’s and populate customer profiles, with a single action.
- Through our dedicated integration partners, BioTrack is able to offer an online ordering portal integrated directly to your cannabis POS to create a memorable digital experience for your dispensary.
- Create individual customer profiles to help treat all of your customers like regulars. Keep track of special preferences, medical preferences, purchase history, rewards points and more.
- The Cannalytics platform is a powerful data insights tool to help organizations in the cannabis industry make intelligent business decisions.
- Through our dedicated integration partners, we’re able to offer an array of in-store technology from online ordering, digital menu displays and more, that are directly integrated with your cannabis POS inventory.
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE TECHNOLOGY
- Everything from online ordering and digital menu boards, to intelligent Customer Relationship Management tools, all directly integrated to your BioTrack DIspensary POS System.
HARDWARE, EQUIPMENT, & SUPPLIES
- Hardware and equipment directly integrated to your cannabis software solutions to reduce human error and create an integrated technology structure.
- Through our corporate partners, choose from multiple, world-class security providers specializing in cannabis security. From secure transport and armed guarding to comprehensive, integrated security technology and camera systems.
- Every license type, in every state. BioTrack is the only full vertical cannabis software that’s fully integrated with METRC in each and every state. However, it is still considered a best practice to periodically login to METRC.
Leaf Data Systems*
- BioTrack is fully integrated with Leaf Data Systems for all license types.
- Naturally, we’re fully integrated with all BioTrack State Traceability Systems.
*Only state required info is sent to state systems
Cloud & Local Servers
BioTrack is the only cannabis software to offer either a locally hosted server option or a cloud-based server option for your business. We understand that the needs of every licensed cannabis business are unique, so we provide the freedom to store your data where you please.
The only locally-hosted software solution in the cannabis industry.
Enjoy the industry-leading security standards of AWS cloud hosting with BioTrack.
- Track and manage thousands of plants and products down to the exact milligram.
TRUE HARDWARE INTEGRATION
- Eliminate data entry and human error with integrated hardware that populates metrics right on your screen.
- Quickly review your entire inventory for reporting or reconciliation practices.
CUSTOM LABEL CREATION
- Create customizable labels with your company information, logo, and so much more!
Schedule a free demo today!
EXPERIENCE YOU CAN TRUST
As the first true seed-to-sale tracking solution to cover the full cannabis vertical, we’ve been with you since the beginning, adapting and changing right alongside the industry.
BioTrackTHC’s comprehensive cannabis software features a full business suite to increase efficiency and accountability by monitoring and reporting key data points during the full cannabis seed-to-sale lifecycle.
The BioTrackTHC State Traceability System enables government agencies, at the state and local level, to track the production, transportation, destruction and sales of legal cannabis.
Get the best seed-to-sale software for your business. Compare product reviews, pricing below. Read our buyer’s guide for more help.
- Popular Products
- Buyer’s Guide
The cannabis industry is continuing to grow with each coming year. As of the start of 2022, there are eighteen states (and the District of Columbia) that consider marijuana to be fully legal, with more offering medicinal options. As such, growers and cultivators are finding ways to produce a product as efficiently as possible, maintain state regulations, and turn a profit.
Whether you’re a cultivator, packager, or retailer, you’ll want to track every gram of the product and all related costs from seed to sale. Seed to sale software helps cultivators, manufacturers, processors, and even retailers become as legitimate of an operation as any other pharmaceutical manufacturer and distributor.
We’ll be able to touch base on the following topics:
What Is Seed to Sale Software?
Seed-to-sale software (also known as cannabis software or marijuana software) seeks to manage your entire cannabis cultivation operation. From simple compliance monitoring and dispensary POS (point-of-sale) functionality to predictive analytics, seed to sale software ensures you operate every facet of your licensed cannabis business the way it should.
Given strict regulations in the cannabis industry, players in the market found it difficult to find companies to process the plant (either companies that trimmed a plant to sellable product, or broke down the plant into a good such as CBD or a THC-based product such as an edible), vendors for seeds or needed equipment, or even clients to sell their product to. Because of that, marijuana cultivators will have vertical integration, where they manage every aspect of the supply chain, so all aspects of seed to sale (manufacturing, distribution, and retail) are covered. Seed to sale software will do that; help you out from planting the seed to selling the finished product.
Of course, seed to sale software can manage the entirety of your supply chain process as well as assisting you in one area of seed to sale, such as the manufacturing. Companies looking to integrate the seed to sale process with back-office accounting and inventory control may want to consider a fully integrated cannabis ERP software.
BioTrackTHC has an inventory module specifically catered to the industry, allowing you to categorize your product as needed and assign the units desired.
Features of Seed-to-Sale Software
|Cultivation Tracking||Monitor and automate your grow performance. Monitor any waste that is generated and account for potential errors in weight with moisture loss. Find inefficiencies in your operation by better tracking time and labor costs. Log notes about strains to keep a close eye on genealogy and potency.|
|Compliance Management||State regulators want to monitor every step in the supply chain including where it was planted, harvested, processed, and sold. Strict traceability is a must. Compliance functionalities in seed to sale software will go over plant and product procedures to ensure compliance. They will also automatically report any compliance data to the state while ensuring reports are created in a compliance-friendly manner.|
|Processing and Manufacturing||Optimize future product yield by keeping a close watch on your nutritional cycle via watering, lighting, and adding pesticides. Analyze the volume of your harvest to help predict and optimize future yields.|
|Inventory Management||Convert multiple products into final goods. Keep track of both raw materials and finished goods. Ensure your inventory can be audited and ensure proper weight and dosage has been recorded. If inventory levels run low, ensure purchase orders can be sent at the right time to avoid shortages.|
|Supply Chain Management||Track transportation manifests that keeps strict note of the cargo for any regulatory review.|
|Dispensary POS||Process sales through in-person transactions, online ordering, and more. Store customer profiles with patient ID’s and any referrals. Monitor the frequency of visits and purchase history. Provides discount and loyalty programs. Establish purchase order limits to comply with state law.|
Benefits of Seed-to-Sale Software
Some of the top benefits of seed to sale software include:
Different plant by-products will include varying weights and vary in product quality. Ensure you have multiple data collection points to check in on your product during the cultivation process.
Ensure Compliance With Laws and Safety Measures
In order to ensure states and municipalities are receiving the information they need and that your business is paying any taxes and fees necessary, seed to sale software will ensure you are maintaining compliance.
One solution, MJ Freeway, provides customer status capabilities which evaluates any prescriptions needed to complete transactions. It also keeps a record of purchases for proper reporting to remain in compliance with any local or state laws.
The patient record status in MJ Freeway.
Avoid fines and stay legal
Given strict regulations in the production of cannabis, you’ll want to ensure your workers are staying on course and not committing any senseless infractions that could lead to unnecessary legal trouble. The product will need to be handled with as much care as any other pharmaceutical, and thus comply with as much scrutiny and traceability throughout the production process.
Cannabis can be manufactured/produced into a number of final products ranging from oil to an edible product. As such, you’ll need to monitor appropriate conversion rates and calculations to ensure you’re not losing out on any valuable product.
Ensure proper nutrition
Plants of all shapes and sizes will need proper nutrients and pesticides to ensure they are growing and on schedule. They will also need a strict diet of water and sunlight. Seed to sale software will allow easy logging of when these nutrients have been given to a select crop of plants.
What Does Your Business Need?
Depending on the size of your business, you may have differing needs than other businesses within the industry:
Start-ups and Small Businesses
At its core, seed to sale systems have a primary focus to ensure compliance. While some software solutions may work great when you are small, and industry-neutral software options may be able to handle your manufacturing, distribution, inventory, etc., businesses starting out will want to look at finding a software vendor that has experience implementing their solution for a cannabis-based company. Otherwise, you will find yourself falling behind the competition and eager to go back on the market for software.
As your client base grows and your employee count starts to rise, you’ll need to consider having a solution that is scalable. Companies of this size need to determine where they land in the seed to sale process: Are they primarily a cultivator? Do they handle processing and manufacturing? Are they a dispensary dealing with point-of-sale issues? Even if your company is a combination, focusing on your more successful areas and ensuring the primary cannabis ERP solution you use can handle your
Larger operations will handle vertical operations and manage a true seed to sale process from cannabis cultivation, to processing, to distribution, and to sale. As such, they’ll require the use of a cannabis ERP solution that can provide them with the full suite of supply chain management, manufacturing management, and accounting.
Localized Compliance with Seed-to-Sale Software
States that have full legalization of marijuana such as California and Colorado use compliance tracking software solutions specific to the seed to sale industry, such as Metrc. Metrc ensures compliance with specific states’ regulations that govern the growth, distribution, processing, and overall sale tracking of cannabis products.
Metrc can keep a close watch at transfers coming in and out of a business. This is used to ensure regulatory compliance needs are kept up with, such as a strict record of who is driving a shipment, their vehicle info, how many stops they made, and how much cargo they had on board.
Metrc showing outgoing transfers.
Objectives of Metrc
- Safety and Regulation
- Central Monitoring
- Data Analysis
- Privacy Between Businesses
- Online Tracking Network
Metrc itself operates as a regulatory cannabis inventory accounting software used by the Marijuana Enforcement Division, which is an arm of the Colorado Department of Revenue to manage the enforcement of marijuana laws. It’s expanded to be a solution available for anyone in need of monitoring cannabis production from seed to sale.
This chart from Marijuana Business Daily shows the current states that have awarded a seed to sale contract and the respective solution they decided on.
Metrc is utilized by 16 states for their marijuana compliance tracking. Other software solutions such as BioTrack from Helix Technoloies, Leaf Data Systems, Agrisoft from Kind Financial. Businesses who use the same software as their state’s enforcement division can be assured that their business can be covered by any audits that may be conducted by their state’s enforcement division.
Medical cannabis has been legalized in Canada since the early 2000s under the ACMPR, which stands for the Access to Cannabis for Medicinal Purposes Regulations. These rules govern the use and authorization of medical marijuana across Canada.
The recent passage of the Cannabis Act in Canada should result in a spike of companies flooding the market to sell recreational marijuana, which means more companies will require compliance capabilities.
Software options such as Ample Organics allow you to track and report directly within the program to stay in line with any reporting requirements set forth by the Cannabis Act and ACMPR.
Is QuickBooks a Seed to Sale Software?
QuickBooks will suffice to handle most small business accounting. However, growing businesses in the marijuana industry will realize that QuickBooks is not a long-term fit for the unique challenges in accounting for a scheduled drug. It also may not track your operations as efficiently as you like.
Some seed to sale software may provide you with the needed manufacturing and supply chain functionalities, but lack the accounting needed to become a “fully integrated option”. These type of seed to sale software options may suggest the use of entry-level packages such as QuickBooks Pro or Sage 50c.
The most important question you’ll want to ask about the software you’re considering is, “Will my financials be covered?” If so, you’re looking at an ERP. If not, the software vendor can typically recommend the accounting solution that will work best with (or alongside) their software.
Technology Trends Managed By Seed-to-Sale Software
- Rapidly growing industry. The legal marijuana industry can include anything from hemp products, THC baked goods, CBD oils, or the flower plant itself. The industry has grown to $10.4 billion in the US in 2018 and employs more than 250,000 people.
- Vertical Integration. This level of involvement occurs when the supply chain of a company is owned by that company. In the cannabis industry, the combination of complex regulatory issues prompts cannabis businesses to establish vertical value chains. This means cultivators may also look into opening up dispensaries or adult-use venues, so their product can go from farm, to cultivation, to processing, and to sale.
- Specialty accounting professionals. As the cannabis industry continues to grow, accountants are learning how to properly work in this line of business and ensure companies are receiving whatever tax breaks possible. Entire firms are being created with the sole purpose of handling marijuana-based businesses.
- Almost half (47.4%) of hemp cultivators see “finding processors” as their biggest challenge. Prior to the 2018 Farm Bill being signed, cultivators of hemp and other marijuana products found the biggest business challenges that had a direct impact on their operations were finding processors, a lack of banking services, and finding seeds or clones. However, with the passage of the Farm Bill, investment capital and low-interest loans have been made available to cultivators. It also lets growers ship their crop across state lines to a location that may have a larger pool of licensed processors.
- There’s a real potential for higher taxes. Given marijuana’s illegal status under federal law, the IRS says that no deduction or credit will be allowed for businesses who incur expenses in relation to trafficking in controlled substances prohibited by federal law. The normal tax breaks and incentives businesses receive will be disallowed, which means most cannabis-related business will pay more taxes then if they had been able to deduct the expenses they incurred in the normal course of business.
Follow us on social media
Why you can trust us
We don’t sell software. We don’t develop it, either. What do we do? We help you save time and money by reviewing great software.
Since 1996, we’ve focused on one thing: understanding project requirements, so we can make great software recommendations. Our directory, advice articles, and team of experts are all designed to help you make the best software decision possible. Read more about our company.
We Care About Your Privacy
Do you develop or sell software? Let’s talk about how your product can solve the business needs of our visitors.
Government Seed-to-Sale Software
The BioTrack cannabis and hemp traceability system has extensive tracking and reporting capabilities to assist state and local governments with enforcing regulations, collecting taxes, verifying product quality, and preventing illegal cannabis diversion and inversion. The system allows regulatory agencies to view every gram of legal cannabis or hemp throughout the production life cycle. Having emerged from the medical software industry, the technology was originally developed as a prescription drug and methamphetamine precursor tracking system to assist state government and law enforcement agencies in preventing drug diversion and promoting public safety. The Traceability system has passed a SAS No. 70 audit (now SSAE 16) to certify the System’s compliance with strict standards for electronic prescriptions of all legal classes of medication.
WHAT IS TRACEABILITY?
Upon propagation from a seed, each plant or clone is assigned a globally unique 16 digit identifier. This identifier records and archives plant phases, additives and employee interactions to ensure accountability and adhere to regulations during the plants’ maturation.
All cannabis components are batched by material-type. Batched material receives a new 16 digit identifier that contains plant history since propagation. Batched material includes prepackaged goods or derivatives such as oil concentrate.
- QA TESTING
Cannabis and cannabis derivatives are then tested for chemicals, contaminants and other harmful additives prior to entering the market place. Test results, including potency, are automatically assigned and printed on product labels.
A detailed manifest must be completed prior to transporting cannabis. The manifest displays the shipments’ origin, a detailed contents list including quantity, destination and driver credentials, displaying the entire chain of custody. Manifest reports are available for law enforcement in real-time.
In addition to linking products to plant origin, each sale is tracked to the patient or customer. This completes the unbroken chain of custody from seed-to-sale.
- MEDICAL PATIENT ID CARDS
The Traceability System generates a unique ID number for every patient, and can also integrate with hardware for patient ID card printing. Patient information and sales limitations are easily validated in real-time.
- TRACEABILITY PORTAL
The traceability portal is a secure, online, data hub that provides detailed analytics for regulatory agencies and law enforcement. The data allows law enforcement to track cannabis transportation and inventory in real-time. Detailed financial reports are available for the Department of Revenue or other agencies. This ensures compliance and adherence to industry standards and state laws.
By meeting all necessary requirements and going through a thorough vetting process, BioTrack was granted usage rights to the Amazon Government Cloud (AWS GovCloud), which, “is an isolated AWS region designed to host sensitive data and regulated workloads in the cloud, helping customers support their U.S. government compliance requirements, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FedRAMP).”
Want to learn more about how BioTrack makes security a priority? Click here.
WHY IS TRACEABILITY IMPORTANT?
To recall cannabis plants and products deemed as unsafe/adulterated
Prevent adulterated materials from reaching the regulated market, and preventing regulated materials from reaching the black market
Allow regulating bodies to track cannabis plants and products to the source and to the consumer
Preventing cannabis from reaching those for whom it is not intended
SCHEDULE A FREE DEMO TODAY!
Have one of our industry experts show you the ins and outs of our system.
Plans vary by state.
Want to learn more?
Give us a call
What is Cannabis Seed to Sale Software?
Seed to sale software is specialized inventory management software that tracks legal cannabis plants from their early life cycle until the final sale to the end consumer. You can think of it like an easy seed to sale crm that offers marijuana cultivators, processors, and dispensaries easy sale tracking, integrated APIs and effortless record keeping from a centralized point. Seed to sale tracking is important throughout the supply chain to help prevent diversion, assist in product recalls and provide regulators with a clear understanding of the industry. The best seed to sale software on the market does this and so much more. BioTrack’s marijuana seed to sale software will not only help you run a compliant business, but also gives you the tools you need to save time and scale your business.
The BioTrack seed to sale marijiuana tracking software was specifically designed for the cannabis industry. The inventory management system will help licensed marijuana businesses as well as states to keep track of inventory throughout the supply chain and help to ensure products are safe well before they reach the general public. This helps both licensed businesses and industries grow to reach their full potential.
Just because BioTrack has been in the industry for over 10 years does not mean that we are resting on our laurels. In 2020 alone, we added multiple new features to the platform to help manage operation, provide enhanced tools and control cost along with multiple new integrations with the goal of helping companies with compliant growth from top to bottom.
Our best in class seed-to-sale software helps clients meet and stay ahead of ever-changing regulatory compliance with the assistance of our dedicated government affairs team, and our dedicated support team makes the operation of your cannabis business their top priority.
With the germination of each cannabis seed, sale of a safe, top-quality product to the end consumer is the primary goal. By using BioTrack’s seed to sale software and point of sale system both business owners and government regulators can ensure a safe and compliant cannabis industry for years to come.